Tuesday 29 September 2009

We can Tweet, but can we say Cheap?

There has been a debate raging in Mazuma HQ this week about the use of the word “cheap”. Essentially the service that we provide at Mazuma is extremely good quality for an even better price, but should we describe it as cheap ourselves? If we are looking for a cheap product on the internet then we may well type that phrase into the search engine e.g. cheap accountant, cheap bookkeeping, cheap envelopes etc. Yet, were we to find a website that described its own product as “cheap”, would we put off it?

The answers I’ve had to the question from the folks at Mazuma are as varied as Gordon Brown’s tax changes; however, we are yet to reach an agreement!

The best answer I can divulge is that we may be looking for something cheap but implicitly the word cheap now seems to mean poor quality and none of us want to be classified as cheap by association. So what do we do? I’m a “call a spade a spade” type of person but I’m not sure I can lead the revolution on the word cheap alone!

I do however also hold a grudge against the phrases cost effective, good value, low cost and the like. I think they are poorly disguised substitutes for the word cheap!

So the debate at Mazuma HQ rages on. Cheap accountant anyone?